Thursday, December 18, 2008

Anti-Antibiotics

There is so much to learn about vaccines and what they can do to protect us. It is amazing to think that some people (like Paul Offit) have dedicated their entire lives to making sure that children and adults have the vaccines we need in order to be protected from infectious diseases.

Paul Offit has written many books, most notably (from my point of view), ‘Breaking the Antibiotic Habit’. In college, whenever I would have a cold, or a sinus infection, I would go to our college’s free health care clinic and they barely examined me before shoving a prescription for amoxicillin in my hand. But antibiotics don’t heal everything, and can in fact make your immune system worse. So, this last time I had a cold, about a week ago, I didn’t take any prescription medicine for it- only Sudafed. My cold was gone in 6 days, and now I feel great. What’s more, my immune system knows how to deal with that type of cold, and hopefully will be able to fight it off before it totally takes over my body!

No comments:

Post a Comment